Tuesday, November 13, 2012

coat drive : update


I'm pretty much obsessed with my little (not little at all, actually) coat drive.

It started as a serious desire to help a week ago today.  (I wanted to rent an apartment for a month and bring my mom out to babysit just so I could go to the areas that are in need and help non stop.  Unfortunately, that just isn't in the cards for me right now.)  It has spread to many different organizations and groups.  I am so grateful that so many have rallied with me in this cause.  I am so lucky to have been able to start the ball rolling to collect warm coats for my neighbors back "at home".

There is a sweet story about one of the coats donated.  The son of Zack's co-worker wrote a note and left it in a pocket of the jacket he donated.
It said that the coat was his favorite coat but that he was giving it away because he knew some other child needed it more than he did.

I too thought of writing a note but didn't.  I regret it now.  This is what I would have said.
"This coat is very special to me because it was from my husband when we were dating.  We lived in NYC and I didn't have a warm coat for the winter, only this light weight one that I layered over everything.  He gave this to me one day and it kept me very happy and warm.  He has since given me other coats and I knew someone could get better use of this coat.  I am happy that I could give it to you."


This is a great post from the New York Cares website where I am sending the coats. 
 VETERANS DAY PARADE NOVEMBER 11 WILL BE A RALLY FOR STORM VICTIMS, COLLECTING COATS FOR NEW YORK CARES 
Read the entire post here.


The final count for the first shipment...  
235
Can you believe it?!!!  I thought my goal of 100 coats in a week would take a miracle.  I am pleasantly surprised and so humbled by the response to support my idea and mostly those in need. 

Stay warm, NYC!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was mistaken on the number. 235 is still a lot!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing!!! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you are so amazing! I wish I could be even just a little bit like you.

    ReplyDelete