Friday, June 22, 2012

little lists: preparing for baby and after

I may have posted the daily and monthly holidays for June but in our house June has really been preparing-for-baby month.  Since having one child rocked our world and changed it completely (in a good way) I am anticipating the same to happen with number two.  I have a good idea what to expect in certain areas of life and to have those thoughts on the surface I'm going to share them all here.



1. Pregnancy life savers:  
  -  products and little indulgences that make me happy during pregnancy HERE

2. Hospital bags for me, Zack + Odin:
  -  for me - phone & camera + chargers, journal, my own hospital "gown", nursing bra/tank, newborn clothes, my going home outfit, brush, hair things, eye makeup remover + q-tips, toiletries - what I have in my purse at all times: rosebud salve, water bottle, hand lotion - new one to eliminate germs, gum, mascara, blush, snacks, notebook + pen.  my hospital bag will hang out in my car and WILL ALSO INCLUDE a towel and trash bag incase my water breaks and I have to drive, also a skirt or pants to put on if this happens...  just in case.  (also, waterproof mattress cover is on in case my water breaks there)
  -  for Zack - snacks, extra shirt, hoodie, socks, blanket, pillow, camera equipment, chargers
  -  for Odin while he's away from home and us - his blankets, guy, dog, 2 changes of clothes, socks + shoes, 2 pajamas, cars, books, photo album, extra diapers and wipes, sippy cup and utensils

3. Nesting tasks: 
  -  make Odin's gift from baby sister - a new blanket, also, furniture painted, frames hung, living room cleared, Odin's room decorated, our bedroom night stands in place, pedicure, bday list mostly complete, clean out fridge and tidy up pantry, clean and stock bathrooms

4. Post delivery prep:
  -  witch hazel, aloe vera, pads/depends, dermoplast, basket to keep it all in for the bathroom, nursing pads and nipple cream, lots of prunes, nursing bra/tank, sleep bras,

5. Newborn sleep + nursing area:
  -  for the first months we'll have the baby in our bedroom.  we have space for a comfy nursing chair and the same cradle I used when I was a baby.  this spot will include a nightstand with nursing supplies like nipple cream, nursing pads, wipes, burp cloths, rosebud salve, prunes, water bottle, hair things and diaper changing supplies readily available plus magazines, books, journal, phone, camera and laptop chargers set up there too.  (nursing supplies will be downstairs too)
  -  for those long and lonely nights of nursing (especially at the beginning) here's a little list of things to watch and things to read all from the laptop - hands free.
  - we also have a bassinet that will be downstairs for the five naps each day at the beginning.  I like having a safe(r) place where I know that my toddler won't be able to step on her.

6. Nursing life savers:  
  - very helpful and enjoyed products that make nursing comfortable and easier HERE

6. Diaper duty area x 2 - for up and downstairs:
  -  since we have an upstairs and downstairs now it will be much less convenient to go up to the changing area to take care of the dirty business.  so like I had and still have for Odin, I'll have a basket of diapers, wipes, (the following I don't have now for Odin but will add for baby girl) ointment, burp clothes, extra onesies, swaddle blankets and of course a sleep cap

*UPDATE: BRILLIANT IDEA* I read somewhere that one mom only did this until she was healed, after that she would walk up the stairs every time she had to change the baby's diaper - we're talking up 5-10 times a day just to change the diaper.  she said it helped burn a few extra calories and helped get her body back after delivery.  This is definitely something I'm going to do!

7. Meals and nutrition:
  -  for pregnancy & delivery - prunes, prenatal vitamins, benefiber, water pitcher (drink a whole pitcher at least each day), coconut water, pre-cut fruit and veggies, nuts and dried apricots, baby bell cheese, snap peas.
  -  for post-delivery - breakfast burritos, freezer meals, NO SWEETS, flax seed, lecithin granules, whey protein and wheat germ for smoothies, along with the pregnancy items first listed

* This post is so that my thoughts, plans and memories of last time are fresh on my mind and easily to refer to.  Also, this post is to share some of these things and practices that I've found to work for me. *

0 comments:

Post a Comment