Saturday, May 5, 2012

walking in the city


I never thought I'd say and really, really feel it but, I do.  I miss it!  
Its second nature to commute by walking and pushing a stroller.  
A typical day - that I'm so accustomed to from living in the city - goes something like this:

my phone, keys and wallet have their little pouch,
its a (sm) wallet because you're sort of asking for it if you try to carry a big purse around, 
my water goes in its little spot, 
there's no problem navigating through the busy sidewalks and crosswalks WITH a stroller,
dodging "stuff" on the ground or veering to avoid a "unique" someone never slows my step,
even though a few nice people open doors for me, my body knows just what to do to get me and the stroller through the big doors,
shopping is a cinch, I'm still always prepared with a snack, a drink, a random toy that will entertain my toddler while we wait in any sort of line,
not waiting for the walk sign?  no problem, I still don't do that.  as long as its clear, I know i'm fine (we might need to change that here)...

ah... this simple rhythm of navigating the city streets.

New York City, you made me into some sort of city girl.  
The daily grind just doesn't feel the same without you.  
My driving a car, though so appreciated and much, is somehow foreign to me. 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
* THIS POST IS DUE TO THIS:  We took Zack to a meeting in the city.  It was no new thing to pass the time on busy city streets.  Somehow the smells, the swearing, the crazies, the horns honking, the pigeons, the hustle and bustle of crossing the streets didn't phase me one bit.  I actually felt at home in walking around the city pushing a stroller full of our possessions.   (It all seemed so familiar and calming to Odin too.  That made me happy... my little city boy.)

image: is of my old neighborhood from before I met Zack.  I know this neighborhood so well and miss the shops, the food, the neighbors and Central Park just 2 long (but still such a short distance, that's just what you call them) blocks away.  I miss it!

1 comment: