Tuesday, May 10, 2011

zday gift


  

Here's my little boy loving this display, wanting to get his hands on it to put in his mouth...  He didn't get it, thank goodness!  (this is our beautiful hotel room at the MONDRIAN  more on that tomorrow)


I saw this print on a cup of jo and was happy when Zack liked it too.  I knew I could recreate it.  I had a 12 x 12 sheet of a grey paper (I would have liked to have used cardstock) that I just sketched out (with pencil) something that looked like a whale using the original print as a reference.

holes poked and working on the first round of sewing

Next I poked holes (using an embroidery needle) along the outline and body detail.  This went pretty smoothly but it is important not to poke too close to other holes so that the thread/embroidery floss doesn't tear the paper.

Once the outline was poked with holes I sewed with embroidery floss around the entire shape and then again to get solid finished lines.

 
Now that the outline has a solid line sewn around, I then switched to sewing thread for the eye and teeth detail.  Again, around twice to ensure solid finished lines.

* unfortunately it did not turn out to be a standard frame shape and that is why it is not finished yet.  boo hoo!  How disappointing is that!?!  I am really bummed.  It is going to cost at least $110 to frame.  I must shop around online to find a better price.  If you know my husband, then you know I will find a MUCH better price.  I don't mind waiting, I hope you don't either.  

// now I have more time to figure out how I can get some nails in our stupid old walls. (grrrr!)

2 comments:

  1. (GRR! Dumb blogspot lost my previous comment)

    *THANKS for tellin us how you sewed it, I probably would have just used a sewing needle, holes sewn close together & did it one time thru.

    *Can't wait to see the end product! What color frame will you be going with?

    *$110 to frame!??! WOWZERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what we used for your house in Denmark. They seemed to work pretty well. Non our pictures fell, and it came off pretty easily.

    http://www.amazon.com/17003-VP-3PK-Command-Adhesive-Large-Hooks/dp/B000M3V8XI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305178571&sr=8-1

    Hopefully that will help.

    I loved the picture. I would like to try to make something for the girls.

    ReplyDelete