Monday, June 27, 2011

Tohoku Tote


I have been wanting to do make this bag for a while now.  It feels great checking if off of the list!
I got this pattern from a charitable person after I donated funds to the Japan relief effort.  You can read about it here.  I was happy to donate and I was grateful for this generous gift from someone not benefiting from my donation.  I am always a fan of charitable causes and I like to support.


I had a random tea towel from Ikea that I used for the other half of the interior.  I don't know why I did it like this when I had more of the main fabric.  I actually don't love the polka dots with the other pattern but I'll live.  I do like the pockets that I added on (the polka dot ones you see and there is another on the other side).   And I'm so glad I found some snaps to use too.  I like the closure capability to a bag.  I think I'll use this for my new diaper bag since I don't need as much space anymore. 


*  a few things:  I can't seem to focus enough to read a pattern.  I just looked at the pictures and winged it.  That made it take a lot longer and it wasn't that easy to make.  I really don't like the polka dots on the interior fabrib of the bag, like I mentioned above (I actually love my polka dot skirt).  And can you believe that my sewing machine broke right before the interior and exterior pieces were sewed together and the handles needed to go on as well?!!!  It was fun to be forced to hand stitch, though.  I really like to feel like I am working hard for a craft.
*  I posted this super flattering picture of me so I'll always remember how humid this day was and how I sat in my hot kitchen sewing away while my baby was screaming at me for more food every few seconds.  This was a nice day believe it or not.  I love getting things done.

//  and now on to finishing a gift I'm working on...

(Do you hate it when you are making something for someone and you can't stop thinking about whether or not they'll like it and you really just hope to pieces that they really like it for all the time you are putting into making it?  In the end I think it will just feel good to get it done and I love giving gifts so its all good either way.)

1 comment:

  1. what a great bag! and YOU made it! that's super impressive.

    ReplyDelete